Mr. Chanchai Trakarnudomsuk, President of Mazda Sales (Thailand) Co. Ltd., said, "According to the third wave of Covid-19 pandemic in Thailand since last April, consumers have been more careful on their spending and affecting the sales performance of automotive industry. Therefore, the total sales of Thai automotive industry in the first half of 2021 was lower than expected and had accumulated sales of 370,000 units (an estimated number). However, it was considered as 14% increase when compared with the first half of 2020. For the second half of 2021, it is expected that the total sales of automotive industry will increase and reach to 800,000 units. Meanwhile, Mazda has set a target at 50,000 units or increase by 30%.
For the first six months of 2021, Mazda had accumulated sales of 18,908 units, accounted for 23% increase. Total Mazda Passenger car unit sold was 10,895 units, increased by 3% and could be divided into 9,622 units of Mazda2 (3% increased), 1,270 units of Mazda3 (1% increased) and the iconic Mazda MX-5 was sold at 3 units. While the Crossover SUVs had accumulated sales of 7,347 units, accounted for 83% increase. The Mazda CX-30 was the most popular model with the sales of 4,194 units or increased by 124%, followed by Mazda CX-3 with 2,231 units and was accounted for 299% growth or reached the highest growth record. Meanwhile, the Mazda CX-8 was sold at 532 units or decreased by 26%, Mazda CX-5 was sold at 390 units or decreased by 54%, the Mazda BT-50 was sold 666 units or decreased by 16%.
"From accumulated sales above, it can be divided into Q1's sales performance between January and March 2021 at 10,890 units, increased by 7% while the Q2's sales performance between April and June was at 8,018 units or increased by 53%. This is one of the positive signs that demand for car purchasing still persisted. However, we have to closely monitor the situation of Covid-19 and adjust the strategy to drive the business in the second half of the year in order to reach the business objectives." Mr. Chanchai added.
Mr. Thee Permpongpanth, Senior Vice President said about the strategy for the second half of 2021, "Although we are in the crisis, Mazda would like to show our empathy and encourage Thai people to get through this situation together once again. For Mazda, we have adjusted our business plan and have created an emergency plan to prepare for operating the business when the situation returns to normal. Mazda works closely with our dealers to urgently adjust the policy for the best benefit of our customers. We aim to take best care of customers, especially the measures for alleviating customers' expenses and provide special offer to new customers and cooperate with our bank partners i.e., a low-down payment, extend the installment period, low interest rate to alleviate customers' expenses in order to facilitate customers to bring cars to use in their business for the maximum benefit."
Moreover, Mr. Thee Permpongpanth declares that Mazda sets a business strategy to use during the crisis because we believe that in every crisis, there is always an opportunity. Mazda also prepares the strategy for the second half of 2021 to cope with the uncertain situation and create the foundation for success with this following 6 main strategies,
- New Products: We prepare to launch series of new products equipped with new technology to meet lifestyle of customers in the modern era and create uniqueness in the market. We believe that it could increase the Mazda's competitiveness and drive Mazda to achieve the target.
- Dealer Support: Adjust management policy to meet the situation, support dealers' sales activities and work as a team or as ONE MAZDA to get through this situation together.
- Marketing and Communication: Use online marketing strategy and communicate through Mazda Online Platform and Social Media, add new communication tactic through digital media and encourage dealers to do more of online activities to reach the customers.
- Sales Promotion Activity: Provide new promotional campaign to facilitate customers to easily own Mazda vehicles, discuss with our bank partners about financial package, provide promotional campaigns that are suitable for each vehicle model, collaborate with partners and dealers to organize roadshows and events in various areas to reach target customers.
- Technology: Create a foundation for a long-term sustainability by using technology in business operation and communication. Mazda would like to become the organization that is driven by technology and innovation to deal with automotive technology of the future that is coming to Thai market soon.
- Aftersales Service: Improve the effectiveness of aftersales service and set a standard across the country, expand our dealer network nationwide, including MAZDA FAST SERVICE the fast service for periodic maintenance, to meet the increased demand of customers, reduce waiting time and enhance customer experience.
Mazda also prepares a special promotional campaign, "BEST DEAL" from 10 - 18 July 2021 to provide the best offer to customers with 0% interest, up to 60-month pay installment, free 1-year Mazda Premium Insurance and free car air purifier from SHARP valued 2,990 Baht. Moreover, two best deals are provided to CX-5 and CX-8 customers (for specific models). First, receive 0% interest, 84-month pay installment and get free THB 10,000 fuel card. Second, receive a special deal for monthly installment plan starts from 15,000 Baht/month and get free THB 10,000 fuel car at Mazda showroom nationwide.
Mazda's sales in the first half of 2021 VS in the first half of 2020ModelJanuary - June 2021 (units)January - June 2020 (units)Change (%)Mazda29,6229,342+ 3Mazda31,2701,257+ 1Mazda CX-32,231559+ 299Mazda CX-304,1941,873+ 124Mazda CX-5390851- 54Mazda CX-8532723- 26Mazda BT-50666797- 16Mazda MX-536- 50Total18,90815,408+ 23
Source: Mazda Sales (Thailand)