The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Senior Executive Vice President Soraphol Tulayasathien said that there was substantial capital flown into the Thai stock market in the first seven months of 2022. However, the tendency of the stronger greenback on the expectation that the US Federal Reserve will raise the policy interest rate in the future has weakened ASEAN regional currency continuously. However, the baht retreat has been a boon to the Thai export and tourism sectors. As of end-July 2022, SET Index closed at 1,576.41 points, an increase of 0.5 percent from the previous month, moving in tandem with the indices of other stock exchanges in the region.
Key highlights for July
- At the end of July 2022, SET Index closed at 1,576.41 points, up 0.5 percent from the month before, in the same direction with indices of other stock exchanges in the region. When compared to the end of 2021, SET Index decreased by 4.9 percent.
- In the first seven months of 2022, SET Index was driven by the industries that benefited from the country reopening. The industries that outperformed the SET Index compared to the end of 2021 were Services, Resources, and Agro & Food Industry industry groups.
- In July 2022, the average daily trading value on SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) amounted to THB 61.86 billion (approx. USD 1.68 billion), or a 27.5 percent decrease from the same period last year. In the first seven months of 2022, the average daily trading value was THB 83.96 billion. Foreign investors returned as net buyers to a tune of THB 4.66 billion in July, resulting in their net buy of THB 113.73 billion for the first seven months of 2022, with the highest trading value ratio for the four consecutive months.
- In July, there was one new company listed on SET, namely Thai Life Assurance pcl (TLI), and two companies listed on mai, namely Bless Asset Group pcl (BLESS) and Chic Republic pcl (CHIC)
- Forward P/E ratio of SET was 16.1 times at the end of July, above the Asian stock markets' average at 12.5 times; and historical P/E ratio of SET was 17.0 times, higher than the Asian stock markets' average at 13.0 times.
- Dividend yield ratio of SET was 2.79 percent at the end of July, below the Asian stock markets' average ratio at 2.98 percent.
- Thailand Futures Exchange PCL (TFEX)'s average daily trading volume recorded at 465,349 contracts in July, a 27.2 percent drop from the same period a year earlier, significantly due to the decline in Single Stock Futures and SET50 Index Futures. During the first seven months of 2022, TFEX's average daily trading volume amounted to 557,397 contracts, up 2.8 percent from the same period last year.
"SET…Make it Work for Everyone"
Source: SET Corporate Communications